Thursday, January 23, 2014

Finish Materials

So I made a mistake in that last post. Probably not the first or last...

I was excitedly saying how the fascia board is the first "finished" material to be installed on the new house next door, but really the porch floors should have gotten that label weeks ago. They are tongue and groove (meaning their shape interlocks one board with the next) and they are douglas fir, a fairly good species for outdoor use. They were pre-primed on all faces and edges prior to installation and will be painted some porch floor gray color eventually. That's sort of the hint that made me realize my mistake - anytime wood is being primed/painted, it is an exposed, finish material. You may think of paint as an aesthetic thing, but truthfully it is an important protective layer for any wood material that is out in the elements.

In other notes, the windows were delivered to the site today and are beginning to be installed! Talk about exciting finish materials! As far as budgets, windows are not inconsequential, so we always want to be sure to get the order right. Refer to the post  "A Window into the Architect's Process" where I was re-reviewing the window schedule. I hope I got them all correct!


No comments:

Post a Comment